THE WORLD'S FIRST AND ONLY BACKYARD ULTRA INSIDE A PRISON
Do you have what it takes to be the last person standing?
Will you be the only one to leave HMP Hellfire with the Governor's Pardon?
This unique endurance event is only available for 2024*
The route mirrors that of the running track used by prisoners of yesteryear.
Starting at 10:00, all prisoners will commence their 'exercise' and this will be repeated on the hour, every hour, until there is only one prisoner left who will receive the coveted Governor's Pardon.
There can only be one winner, everyone else will be classified as DNF.
Dates: May 4th, June 29th, August 24th and October 19th
Start Time: 10:00
Distance each hour: 4.167 Miles - 6.7056 Kilometers
Ascent: 540 Feet - 164 Metres
Age Limit: 18 years & over
Entry Fee: £100.00
Record Time: TBC
The following is strictly prohibited at HMP Hellfire:
1. Lighting fires
2. Consuming Alcohol
3. Plotting to escape
4. Betting on animal fights
7. Bare knuckle boxing
8. Brewing Moonshine
To ensure you receive updates on this and other events, please join our mailing list.
*This event is only available in 2024, as the prison block is due to be repurposed as part of the regeneration of the UK's largest fortress.
- A fully waymarked route around this highly restricted former prison site
- Exclusive finisher's gift
- A Trophy for the last person standing (The Governor's Pardon)
- Medical emergency responders
- Use of microwave
- Hot & cold water
- A selection of soft drinks
- Free onsite parking
- An old, unwanted key
- Water bottle, bladder or cup
- The course will be at least 4.167 miles long.
- The starting corral will stay the same size throughout the event. When the bell rings at the start of the lap on the hour then you must be inside the starting corral. If you are not then you’ll receive a DNF and not be allowed to continue.
- Each loop starts precisely 1 hour after the last, and warnings will be given at 3, 2, and 1 minute prior to the start of the exercise. All prisoners must start at the bell (no late starts.) Each exercise must be completed within an hour to be counted… including the final lap.
- Except for restroom breaks, prisoners may not leave the course until each exercise is completed.
- No non-prisoners on the course (including prisoners who have been eliminated.)
- Prisoners are not permitted to receive assistance of any kind outside race HQ.
- No artificial aids (including trekking poles.)
- Slower running prisoners must allow faster ones to pass.
- If no prisoner can complete one more exercise than anyone else, there is no winner.
- All participants must follow the guidance of prison wardens at all times.
- If we believe the safety of prisoners is being compromised in any way, Hellfire Events Ltd reserve the right to stop you from competing in this event at any time.
- All prisoners must be at least 18 years old on the race day.
- Each Prisoner is allow one crew member
- Spectators are not permitted at this event.
- Prisoners who dropped out are allowed to assist other prisoners within race HQ only.
- You must stick to the marked route at all times. Anyone found off-route will be removed from the event and asked to leave.
- Dogs are not permitted at this event.
- If someone requires medical assistance, you must notify a prison warden immediately.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information regarding renting a prison cell for the night before the event.
- 1x Old door key - The key will be presented to the winner of the Governor inside the trophy called the Governor's Pardon.
- Touch (Only during night time hours)
- Nutrition. This is a self-supported endurance event, therefore prisoners will need to bring their own food. Hot and cold drinks are provided.
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Warm clothing
- Trail shoes
- Foldable chair
- Under no circumstances are spectators allowed within the prison walls. There are, however, points around the prison where spectators can see inside the revetment. Spectators do this entirely at their own risk.
- Upon signing up for any Hellfire Events Ltd events, all runners agree to our terms and conditions.
- All participants entering our events do so at their own risk. Hellfire Events Ltd are NOT responsible for any injury caused while participating in any of our events, nor are we responsible for any loss or damage of personal property.
- Hellfire Events Ltd vow to make events as safe and as enjoyable as possible.
- All our events are fully covered by Public Liability Insurance. A copy of this document can be provided upon request to email@example.com.
The Citadel, Citadel Road, Dover, Kent, CT17 9DR