Helm Hill Runners is a Kendal based running club, founded in 1990 by Ken Shuttleworth, Billy Procter and a small group of parents. Currently we have more than 400 members, including over 100 juniors. The club is centred around fell running and cross country, but many members compete on the road, as well as in orienteering and mountain marathon events.
Our club contains a very wide range of ages (minimum age for juniors to join a training group is 8 years) and abilities from beginner to international athlete. We have a flourishing junior section and have many runners who have come through the junior ranks to represent the club at senior, national and international level.
We train on Monday and Wednesday evenings, with a variety of sessions throughout the year, from track, off-road, fell and steady social runs.
For more information, visit www.helmhill.co.uk or come along on a Monday or a Wednesday night – everyone is welcome for up to three sessions before deciding whether to join as a member.
ALL MEMBERS - both SENIOR and JUNIOR - should use the online membership system to join or renew existing memberships.
18 to 23 Year olds have FREE membership BUT still need to register on SiEntries but no payment will be taken.
If you are taking out membership for a junior who currently does not have a place in a training group on a Wednesday night, you should complete consent forms and email them to the junior co-ordinator via email@example.com Thank you.
(Juniors who are members, even if they are not training with the club, can wear a Helm Hill vest and run for Helm Hill in races etc. Also they can attend social events. The minimum age for a junior to start training with Helm is 8 years old but membership can be bought when a child is younger than 8 years.)
The forms can be found on the Helm Hill website - Helm Hill Consent Form
Please note - We welcome all new junior members to the club, however if you don't already train with us and are joining because you wish to do so, please be advised that we have a long waiting list at the moment. Please download a waiting list enquiry form if you would like your child to join the waiting list for a Wednesday night training place. There is a link to this form in the rolling news panel on the home page of the website.
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP - This is for two adults and one or more junior (U18).
ENGLAND ATHLETICS -
- When you become a member or renew your membership with Helm Hill you can also choose to be registered as a member of England Athletics ( you will have to register with England Athletics if you ever compete for the club under UKA rule book. If you join England Athletics we will provide England Athletics with your personal data which they will use to enable access to an online portal for you (called myAthletics). England Athletics will contact you to invite you to sign in to and update your MyAthletics portal (which, amongst other things, allows you to set and amend your privacy settings ). If you have any questions about the continuing privacy or your personal data when it is shared with England Athletics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For those wishing to join England Athletics for 2023/24, the cost is £17 - please make sure you select the EA membership tick-box when completing the online membership form, for this to be added to the payment
- Being an EA member is not a requirement to join Helm Hill Runners, however, there are many benefits of becoming a member of England Athletics, particularly if you plan to regularly participate in road races/cross country events. For some races, such as UKA organised events, being a member of England Athletics is a requirement - please check entry details carefully. For more information on England Athletics and receiving a competition licence, please visit http://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics
- Please note, if you wish to count in either the 2023 English or the British fell running championships, then you must either be a member of the FRA or registered with England Athletics
ENGLAND ATHLETICS FOR JUNIORS -
- Examples of races for which juniors need to be registered with England Athletics include cross-country races, organised by the Cumbria Athletics Association, track races and road races. To count as a member of Helm Hill team for the FRA Championship races it is necessary to be a member of England Athletics by purchasing your EA membership through Helm Hill.
- If you are unsure if you need to be registered with EA for any races you plan to do, please speak to Helm's Junior Co-ordinator, Lorna Askew, at training - who will be able to advise - email@example.com